- December 18 -- MTV is awarded a National Science Foundation CAREER award to study neuron mechanics (for details, click here or here.)
- December 14 -- MTV gives a research seminar on microtubule mechanics at the London Research Institute, Cancer Research UK.
- November 26 -- Bugra Kaytanli advances to PhD candidacy in Mechanical Engineering. Congratulations, Bugra!
- November 22 -- Bugra Kaytanli and MTV's Paper "Evolute-based Hough transform method for characterization of ellipsoids" is accepted for publication in the Journal of Microscopy.
- November 15 -- Vasisht Shastry joins the Valentine Research Group as a Master's student to work on polymer mechanics. Welcome Vasisht!
- October 31 -- Dave Valdman, Ben Lopez, Paul Atzberger, and MTV's Paper on the Mechanics of Heterogeneous Biopolymers is accepted for publication in Soft Matter.
- October 22 -- Dezhi Yu, Veronica Pessino, Steve Kuei, and MTV's Paper on the Mechanics of Epothilone-stabilized Microtubules is accepted for publication in Cytoskeleton.
- October 12 -- MTV gives a seminar on Biophysical Regulation of Axonal Transport at the Center of Biological Physics at UCLA.
- October 9 -- Yali Yang, Mo Bai, Bill Klug, Alex Levine, and MTV's paper titled "Microrheology of highly crosslinked microtubule networks is dominated by force-induced crosslinker unbinding" is accepted for publication in Soft Matter.
- September 7 -- MTV gives the Physics Colloquium at Emory University on Microtubule Mechanics.
- July 9 -- Ken Desmond joins the Valentine Research Group as a postdoctoral fellow to work on adhesion mechanics -- Welcome Ken!
- July 1 -- MTV is awarded a grant from the UC Cancer Research Coordinating Committee to pursue the effects of chemotherapeutic compounds on microtubule mechanics.
- June 29 -- Ben Lopez is awarded an NIH NRSA postdoctoral fellowship to support his work on kinesin motility on MAP-coated microtubules. Congratulations, Ben!
- June 16 -- Undergraduate researcher Veronica Pessino graduates from UCSB with dual Bachelor's degrees in Biology and Physics, in which she completed an honors thesis. She will enter grad school in Biophysics at UCSF this Fall. Congratulations, Veronica!
- May 15 -- Jun Lin and MTV's Applied Physics paper on Oscillatory Magnetic Tweezers is highlighted in the Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research. (http://www.vjbio.org/)
- May 5 -- Jun Lin and MTV's paper on the "High-force NdFeB-based magnetic tweezers device optimized for microrheology experiments" is accepted for publication in Review of Scientific Instruments.
- April 30 -- Jun Lin and MTV's paper on "Ring-shaped NdFeB-based magnetic tweezers enables oscillatory microrheology measurements" is accepted for publication in Applied Physics Letters.
- February 29 -- Bugra Kaytanli and MTV present "Determining Structure-Mechanics Relationships of Viscoelastic Microtubule Networks through Microscale Manipulation" at the Biophysical Society annual meeting, with co-authors Yali Yang, Jun Lin and Omar Saleh.
- February 27 -- MTV presents an invited talk at the APS March Meeting on microtubule mechanics.
- February 15 -- Dezhi Yu advances to PhD candidacy in Materials. Congratulations, Dezhi!
- January 24 -- Dave Valdman, Dezhi Yu, Paul Atzberger, and MTV's paper on "Spectral Analysis Methods for the Robust Measurement of the Flexural Rigidity of Biopolymers" is accepted for publication in the Biophysical Journal.
- January 16-20 -- MTV is a lecturer at the ETH Winter School on Cellular Biophysics at Locarno, Switzerland.
- January 5 -- MTV presents an invited talk at the ICAM/UCLA Mechanics in Biology Conference.
- November 28 -- Yali Yang, Jun Lin, Bugra Kaytanli, Omar Saleh, and MTV's paper "Direct correlation between creep compliance and deformation in entangled and sparsely crosslinked microtubule networks" is accepted for publication in Soft Matter.
- September 1 -- Jun Lin joins the Valentine Research Group as a Research Scientist on a short term postdoc. Welcome Jun!
- June 19-24 -- Dezhi Yu, Jun Lin, Dave Valdman, and MTV attend the International Congress on Biological Physics Conference in San Diego and present two posters on the development of novel spectral analysis methods for biopolymers, and the development of the portable magnetic tweezers device.
- May 20 -- Yali Yang, Jun Lin, Ryan Meschewski, Erin Watson, and MTV's paper on the design and construction of a portable magnetic tweezers device is accepted in BioTechniques.
- April 1 -- MTV is awarded an NSF grant to fund Internships in Nanosystems Science, Engineering, and Technology (INSET), an REU site that brings CA community college students to campus each summer for 8 weeks of intensive research and professional development.
- February 15 -- Ben Lopez joins the Valentine Research Group as a postdoctoral fellow to work on microtubule mechanics and kinesin motility. Welcome, Ben!